10 things you must know before you visit California Wine Country.Oct 25, 2020
Most wine regions are pretty spread out, be sure to map out your trip and plan your route accordingly
Hire a driver! The last thing you want to worry about is a DD. Hire a driver to ensure your safety, full enjoyment and support local businesses
3. Don’t plan more then 3 wineries per day. It’s important to not feel rushed and to fully enjoy each stop
4. Call ahead and make appointments at each spot. To guarantee the perfect day, set up appointments ahead of time to avoid disappointment of being turned away from a full tasting room. (Plus with the current pandemic, most places are appointments only anyways)
5. Book the proper time slots. The best wine tasting day includes a 10 am slot, a 12:30 wine and food pairing for lunch and a 3:30 to end the day. (Followed by dinner at a local restaurant)
6. Be sure to either buy wine or leave a tip! For a simple tasting, I usually leave a $10 tip and for a tasting and tour I leave $20, but the best way to support is to buy wine and it’s a win win!
7. Never tell the people pouring the wine that you don’t like the wine! This is their beloved sweat and tears you’re tasting! If you don’t like it, quietly dump and move to the next one. No need to express your disgust.
8. Expect to spend a minimum of $35/ guest for a tasting. It’s definitely worth the splurge to book a tasting and tour, this can be up to $150/person.
9. If you get the chance take your glass and stroll the vines. There’s nothing more magical then walking through the vineyards.
10. Bring water! As amazing as wine is, it’s a dehydrator. Be sure to bring plenty of water so you are good to go the next day!
If you’re planning a trip and not sure where to go, please don’t hesitate to reach out for recommendations!
Check out my previous posts:
Cheers! Cas- your personal Sommelier
I'm Here To Keep You In The Know
About All Things Vino!
Join my mailing list to receive weekly tips, inspiration, and industry highlights.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.